Welcome

. . . in all seriousness, thanks for stopping by! This blog will no doubt evolve over time, and will include all sorts of content. My aim is to let you know what we're doing as a family, how I'm coping as the mum of a child with Cerebral Palsy, and a variety of other things too.

If you are the parent of a special needs child, I pray that you will find encouragement, hope and support within these posts. I'd like to get to know your story too, so be sure to leave a comment.

I hope you'll come back soon.



Sunday 1 April 2012

Heaven's very special child

This is for all the parents out there who have been given a special child


Heavens Very Special Child

A meeting was held quite far from Earth
“It’s time again for another birth.”
Said the angels to the Lord above
“This special child will need much love.”

His progress may seem very slow
Accomplishments he may not show
And he’ll require extra care
From the folks he meets way down there

So let’s be careful where he’s sent
We want his life to be content
Please Lord find parents who
Will do a special job for you

They will not realize right away
The leading role they’re asked to play
But with this child sent from above
Comes stronger faith and richer love

And soon they’ll know the privilege given
In caring for this gift from heaven
Their precious charge, so meek and mild
Is heaven’s very special child

This reinforced for me the fact that God was not going to make me face anything more than what He could help me survive.

I have to admit that after Isaac was born, it took me a while (probably close to 2 weeks) to even want to start bonding with him.  Sure, all the tubes and wires made it difficult to get close to him, but I don't know that I could have anyway.  I didn't want to make it any more heart-breaking than it was already going to be, should Isaac not survive - which is what all the indications were.

Yes, I prayed and believed that God could go back in time and protect Isaac's umbilical cord so that there was still enough oxygen getting through to his brain (ie that He could prevent the brain injury from occuring in the first place).  What my faith struggled with was, that if Isaac had been deprived of so much oxygen for so long, could he be healed from the insult that his brain suffered.

When you face something like this, it challenges you - your beliefs, values, faith, determination, basically everything that you are - to the core of your being.

Then there were the issues with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), depression/post natal depression, and the uncertainty of Isaac's long term prognosis.  Not mention what the earthquakes have done to disrupt so much of what used to be normal.  More on all these another time.

Thanks for stopping by, hope that you'll come back again.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem - you have all been through a very big journey and are on a another too it seems. I'm blogging from blogspot as well now so I'll sign in with that :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful ...feel free to follow our story of my little girls journey HIE Grade 3 https://www.facebook.com/Ellas.Journey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...